Search

What's Considered High Mileage For an ATV?

• Thread starter JGaulard
  • Start date

2K Total Thread Views

JGaulard

JGaulard

Administrator
Pro Member
Reaction Score
I think I'm finally going to do it. I've been living in western Maine for just about six years and have yet to purchase any sort of motorcycle or ATV. I recently picked up 10 additional acres of land, which brings my total to 15 acres and there's tons of very nice firewood on it. I'm getting to the point of wanting an ATV so badly to pull that firewood out of the woods that I can hardly think of anything else. The only problem is, I'm having a tough time justifying spending the $10,000 that I'll need to purchase a brand new Polaris Sportsman 850 or a Can-Am Outlander 850. I think the Can-Am is a bit higher in price, but I'm rounding here.

I would love to purchase brand new. I have some serious reservations about buying a used ATV, not kowing how it's been ridden and maintained though. If I were to find one that's used, but owned by a very mature friend of mine, I'd give that some thought, but as it stands, I'm still considering the whole idea. I'm leaning towards new, but, as I said, under the right conditions, I'd go used.

Which brings me to the question of this post: What's considered high mileage for an ATV? I found a few Polaris Sportsman models up at Jackman Powersports in Maine. Here are the stats:

2012 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2858 miles, $4599
2013 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP PS, 2592 miles, $5199
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 EPS, 2937 miles, $4999
2018 Polaris Sportsman Touring 570 EPS, $6995

Are these good deals? How does the pricing work for used ATVs anyway? Is there a sort of Kelly Blue Book for these things? Also, how can an ATV be accurately priced if it's a mystery as to how it's been ridden. From watching videos on Youtube, I see that it's a hobby of ATV owners to go mud-bogging. I don't want to find out that I just purchased a used Polaris that's had over 2000 miles of something like that.

I read through a few forums and have found that lots of riders think that 2500 miles is getting up there. Anything past that is considered "high mileage" and may need a rebuild. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I know how to do all that, but I don't really want to. Someone even said that an ATV with over 1000 miles is high mileage. I find that hard to believe. A few times out and you're past that.

So what's your opinion on this? What's the highest mileage you'd ever consider when purchasing a used ATV? Is 2500 miles too much? What about 3000? What's the big determining factor for you when you buy used? Thanks ahead of time.