Search

2018 Polaris Sportsman 850 First Fluid Change

1K Total Thread Views

JGaulard

Administrator
Pro Member
Reaction Score
I bought my Polaris 850 used with about 600 miles on it. I've gone riding a few times and probably put about 50 extra miles on it. I was looking through the owner's manual the other day and saw that at 600 miles, Polaris says to change the demand drive fluid, rear gearcase oil and transmission oil. It says to change the engine oil after 25 miles or one month during break in and then at 1000 miles. I really didn't think there would be this much maintenance with this quad, but whatever. It's fine. I knew ATV ownership would cost a lot of money.

Anyway, my question is, are there any knock-off or alternative fluids to Polaris? Polaris fluids seem very expensive. I've got all that I need in my Amazon cart ready to go, but I'm wondering if I can somehow save a bit of money. I know I'm not going to buy the Polaris brand engine oil. I'm going with "Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil" for that. I've read that in some cases, it's actually better than the Polaris stuff.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.