Search

What's the Maintenance Schedule for a Polaris Sportsman 850?

1K Total Thread Views

JGaulard

Administrator
Pro Member
Reaction Score
Even though my brand new but used 2018 Polaris Sportsman 850 only has about 625 miles on it, I thought that I really should get on the maintenance part of owning an ATV like this. I have no idea what needs to be done as far as maintenance goes, so I decided to look in the owner's manual today to find out. I was a bit surprised at what I saw. Apparently, some fluids need to be changed quite frequently.

As far as lubrication goes, there are a few areas of the quad that need to be lubricated every 500 miles. Things such as suspension and steering. That sort of thing. As for the fluids, these are the things I need to keep my eye on. The engine oil needs to be changed every 1000 miles. the demand drive fluid and the real gear case oil both need to be changed every 600 miles. I didn't know that. The transmission oil also needs to be changed every 600 miles. Everything else needs to be inspected and changed if there's enough wear to warrant it.

I guess I should purchase some fluids. Let's see. What do I need?

Engine Oil: PS4-5W-50 (2 quarts)
Transmission Oil: AGL Gearcase Lubricant & Transmission Fluid (37 ounces)
Demand Drive Fluid: Demand Drive Fluid (9.3 ounces)
Rear Gearcase Oil: ATV Angle Drive Fluid (7.1 ounces)

I uploaded a few pages from the Sportsman owner's manual to this page for reference. If you have any questions or if you don't have this manual, please let me know and I'll add more pages. As I change each of these fluids, I'll also create a post that describes the process as well as add photos of what I did.

polaris-maintenance-1.jpg

polaris-maintenance-2.jpg

polaris-maintenance-3.jpg

polaris-sportsman-lubrication-guide.jpg